Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Test Results

On Tuesday, October 10th, I called my OB's office to find out if any of our test results had come back from my surgery. I really wasn't expecting the chromosome analysis to be back yet, but I was hoping that the pathology tests were back and I could find out what the results were and exactly what they test for. To my surprise, the chromosome results had come back that day, but there were no results. The sample that was sent to UAB was "contaminated" the report said and no testing could be done. I was heartbroken and sat here crying as I talked to the nurse. She didn't know exactly what that meant, so she talked to my OB and called me back. They didn't know exactly what happened, but my OB was assuming that the sample had developed an infection because the report said, "in spite of treatment with antibiotics and antimicotics" the tests could not be done. My OB said that anything that is made up of cells that divide and grow (tissue) can develop an infection and sometimes that just happens. I was devastated because I was counting on those results to help us to know where we should go from here. See, if the results showed that the baby had a chromosomal defect then that would mean that it would not be likely to happen again. However, if the loss was caused by my blood clotting disorder, then it could happen again. And, I was hoping to find out what happened so we would have some help in deciding what to do. I really want to complete our family with another child, but I can't stand the thought of losing another one in trying to do so. So, test results would have been helpful. However, we will not get any results and now we have to talk to doctors and make an uninformed, or not as informed, decision on our own.

I have more info to add to this with later posts. I'm trying to update in chronological order, though, so it will be in a post about my doctor's appointments.

No comments: