Thursday, August 17, 2006

We have a heartbeat!!

Here's the baby -- the little white blob in the black circle.
We had our doctor's appointment today and we were able to see the baby's heartbeat! What a relief! I have been so worried since last week's appointment when we could only see the yolk sac, but no baby yet. Today, we saw the baby and the heartbeat was just a little blip on the screen. It's too early to be able to count the heart rate, but we could see it beating. Next week, we should be able to tell how fast it's beating. Next week, we also meet with Dr. Long (we usually only see a nurse practitioner), to discuss his plan for me -- how long he'll continue to do "early pregnancy monitoring" and when he'll re-test my auto-immunities and monitor my bloodwork. Right now, because of the LAC antibody that they discovered in February, I have to take baby aspirin and Heparin everyday to prevent my blood from clotting around the baby and cutting off the blood supply. So for now, I have to go in for weekly bloodwork to make sure that everything is okay. Next week, we'll get an idea of how long that will continue and when he thinks he'll release me to my OB. Speaking of which, I was advised today to go ahead and schedule my first prenatal check-up with my OB, so I'll be seeing two doctors for at least a little while. That's okay, though, if that's what it takes to get a healthy baby here! The picture to the left shows a more close-up picture of the baby -- the little blob in the right side of the black circle is the baby. There's also a very lite "halo" there that is the yolk sac. That's where the baby is getting his/her nourishment from right now.

No comments: