Friday, August 11, 2006

The First Day of School


Yesterday was the official first day of school and John-William started second grade. He did so well on his first morning back to school and I was so proud of him. His teacher was a first grade teacher last year, so he knows her and is comfortable with her and he already knew most of the kids in his class. He is a very good student and really enjoys learning.

Today was the first day of school for Jackson, our kindergartener. School did start yesterday, but they split up the girls and boys for the first two days since this is the first time that many of them have ever been away from mom. The girls went yesterday and had a tea party all day long. Today, the boys went and they were in "camp out" mode all day long. He even told me how to make s'mores when he got home. However, the day didn't start as well as I had hoped. He started out wonderfully. He was excited about going to "big school." The teacher had some worksheets for them when they got into the class and since we had already delivered all of his school supplies, all he had to do was get out his crayons and start coloring. Then, I told him to give me a hug goodbye. (John-William was already crying at this point, for some reason that we never figured out and neither did he!) Jackson gave me a huge hug and wouldn't let go. He buried his face in my side and the tears started rolling. It took several minutes of him crying, me crying and trying to tell him that he was going to have a great day before the teacher finally pulled him off me and I had to leave with him screaming. That was extremely difficult! We walked John-William to class and snuck back down the hallway to check on Jackson. We couldn't hear him crying anymore and Adam peaked in the window and he already settled down and doing fine. I hope Monday morning goes much more smoothly!

No comments: