Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Adam's Christmas Present

Adam and I agreed that we wouldn't buy much for each other this year. We lied. A couple of months ago, I started planning how I could get his Trans Am repaired for him for Christmas, without him knowing about it. That isn't an easy task because it sits in our yard, under it's cover and it would be very noticeable if he came home and it was gone. Especially since that happened a few months ago when we "stole" his car for April Fool's Day!! So, I couldn't exactly take it and expect him not to notice. However, he was gone for 6 days earlier this month when he had a conference to attend in Nevada. While the boys were in school that Monday, Adam's dad and I took the car to the repair shop. I hid the car cover in the basement and hoped that the boys wouldn't notice that the car was gone. They didn't!!! I couldn't believe it, but it was gone for 4 days and they never knew it!! The car got the work that it needed (a new carbeurator, new starter and other miscellaneous items it needed) and my dad and I brought it home that Thursday afternoon before the boys got home. I parked it where it had been, we covered it up and hoped that no one would realize anything had happened. Fast forward 2 1/2 weeks -- I finally let Adam know that his car is running again on Christmas morning!! He knew something was up because he didn't have much under the tree (mainly books, since he spends a lot of time reading when he can't sleep) and I told him that one of his gifts hadn't gotten here yet, that it would be late. While he was in the shower, I ran out and uncovered the car, moved it into the driveway and put a bow on it. I turned music on in the living room so that he wouldn't hear the car running when he came out of the shower. As the boys and I led him into the dining room and playroom, he looked out the window and saw that the car wasn't in it's spot. As he asked, "where's my car?" he heard it and said, "is it running?" You see, the car wouldn't idle and that's why he couldn't drive it very much. So, the fact that it was sitting in the driveway running (by itself, no one's foot was on the gas), was the indicator that the car was fixed!! He was very happy!! Here's the car:





And here's Adam sitting in the car, grinning like a kid on Christmas morning. Oh yeah, that's what he was, wasn't he??



No comments: