Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day


I hope everyone has enjoyed their day today and, more importantly, I hope everyone remembers what the day is for. The boys and I did not attend the Memorial Day Service with Adam today like we normally do, but he did go. It's always a very moving service with a 21-gun salute and the Honor Guard playing Taps. They also recognize the veterans who are there and the wars/conflicts they served in. There is also a reading of the names of the servicemen and women from our area who have lost their lives serving our country.
I've started explaining the meaning of the day to the boys so that they understand that there are men and women who have given their lives for our freedom. They like looking at the flags on the poles as we drive through town and when they asked why they were there, I took the opportunity to explain it to them. Surprisingly, a few days later they still remember and were able to tell me what we had talked about. I hope they always remember.

No comments: